bubble algeeeee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookemhorns_98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This stuff is slowly appearing on every piece of live rock I have...please advise! It has also found a home on my birdsnest coral...I try to pull it off the rocks, but most of it just "pops" and is difficult to remove.

If it pops like its filled of fluid then it could be some form of bubble algae but the only bubble algae that I am fimular with forms round spheres.

About the only means of control is manual removal and greatly limiting the nutrient that feeds it. Primarily PO4 and NO3 will keep it going strong. I do not know enough about this species of algae to recommend a natural predator but I think once the nutrient is kept in check, the algae will die off.

Cheers
Steve

I do not believe this is a species of valonia but if so, the mithrax may be of some help. Often they do more to spread it but there is always a chance of that no matter what action you take. Quite honestly I would start with the manual removal and limit the nutrient level first before introducing something with claws... :wink:

Cheers
Steve

it's almost impossible to remove by hand. It's soft, and extremely slippery. Any pressure and they just pop...which probably results in it spreading.

It's very frustrating :evil:

Back
Top Bottom