Bug in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was pulling out the sponges in my nanocube to rinse them and found this. He was at least a quarter inch and looked like a weird white cricket. Wish I had better pictures

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120513_194230.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120513_194230.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 148
  • ForumRunner_20120513_194247.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120513_194247.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 144
Cool! Lol. Watch to see what it does o_O. I can't honestly ID it. Therefore I cannot tell you if it is bad or good or just good food.. Sorry :p.

Wow it really does look like a cricket! Do you have reptiles and maybe it's a rouge cricket that turned saltwater! :p

Google amphipod.
I see one or two of them from time to time in my salwater tank aswell.
I am always quite amazed at how the move around the tank. It's like they just dont belong there.

Reactions: HN1
I do believe its an amphipod. It does swim around very odd. Was creepy when it touched my hand then I looked down and saw it

Yep amphipod, ive had my 6 line wrasse pull one of these guys off the rocks one time and he cabe the wrasse a run for his money. Wrasse couldnt take him down very easy, he had to fight the little fatty in his mouth lol. I have hundreds come out at night, they are strange little things.

But do they hurt anything?? I have seen one or two in my filter and just noticed some under my driftwood as I was cleaning. How do u get rid of them??

No they are detritivores meaning they help keep your tank clean. And they are very tasty fish food, take a flashlight to your tank in the middle of the lights off hours and you will see many more.

Thank you for the help everyone! I was relieved when I found out it was an amphipod and not something I need to remove because it escaped back into my filter

Some pods can be harmful, just keep an eye out. I had to learn the hard way.

View attachment 94892

Pod right?

View attachment 94893

Pod eating new $80 clown. I've been catching them and killing them one by one. I've about got them all. I also added a 6 line wrasse and a mandarin, along with good pods to help beat out the bad ones.

Back
Top Bottom