Button Polyps? maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJLiquid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have what appears to be Button Polyps. They just grew from the rock, started as white nubs. They are light brown with green centers and sparkly looking stalks. They have really really meaty looking shallow cups and close up as soon as anything lands on them (food wise-phyto plankton). They are individual not in a close colony but all are on the same rock. I hope they are good. I will add pictures when I can sorry. They look pretty much exaxtly like these (same sparkly stalks) but green in the center-not orange-
Parazoanthus axinellae

I have what appears to be Button Polyps. They just grew from the rock, started as white nubs. They are light brown with green centers and sparkly looking stalks. They have really really meaty looking shallow cups and close up as soon as anything lands on them (food wise-phyto plankton). They are individual not in a close colony but all are on the same rock. I hope they are good. I will add pictures when I can sorry.

Do they look like these?

100_1587.JPG

I looked at the "tentacles" on the Parazoanthus axinellae and my polyps (or whatever they are) and mine are half the size but same top and bottom pattern.

They grow as fast as Xenia in my tank but not as tall. They are cool in the way they close up. Do yours close up when they capture something?

At feeding time they are always closed up. Sounds like button polyps to me.

Thank you very much and sorry I have no pictures.

Do button polyps have to grow in clusters like your picture? Mine are scattered and are not clustered like my zoas are or your picture shows.

Back
Top Bottom