came on live rock, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
what do you think the white stuff is on the rock?

img_1234923_0_6306e5d6e8d322b8bf13319e023a7890.jpg

img_1234923_1_af29e0d0df053cb3ea603ab24410b918.jpg

img_1234923_2_87e3793ad8ab7c748f3728a1885bf7d3.jpg

thanks,
joma

Could be your coralline bleaching out. Or could be sponges. My guess is... judging by what looks like coralline in some areas on the white stuff, is bleached coralline.

Could be your coralline bleaching out. Or could be sponges. My guess is... judging by what looks like coralline in some areas on the white stuff, is bleached coralline.

what's bleached coralline?

Well, coralline is the purple calcareous material that eventually covers all of your rocks. So, when coralline bleaches out, for whatever reason, it turns white.

Is that stuff hard? Or can you wipe it off with a finger and it goes floating away in the current. If it does that, then it's a sponge. If it doesn't... It's bleached coralline.

Well, coralline is the purple calcareous material that eventually covers all of your rocks. So, when coralline bleaches out, for whatever reason, it turns white.

Is that stuff hard? Or can you wipe it off with a finger and it goes floating away in the current. If it does that, then it's a sponge. If it doesn't... It's bleached coralline.

its hard so its bleached coralline. is that bad? does that mean it's dead?

Well, it does mean it's dead, but it does not mean it's gone for good. Just give it some time, and with proper water chemistry, decent lighting, and a good calcium level, it should come back. Coralline is pretty finicky for tanks just starting out. Water parameters are fluctuating, and things are settling in.

Well, it does mean it's dead, but it does not mean it's gone for good. Just give it some time, and with proper water chemistry, decent lighting, and a good calcium level, it should come back. Coralline is pretty finicky for tanks just starting out. Water parameters are fluctuating, and things are settling in.

okay, hopefully it will come back.

It should. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it right now. In due time coralline covers every part of your tank. And i mean every single part.

It should. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it right now. In due time coralline covers every part of your tank. And i mean every single part.

is coralline algae good? like what does it do?

Yes it's good. It just shows that your tank is maturing and everything is running nicely. Coralline... doesn't really do anything, besides suck up calcium.. But it does look really nice, and it gives your rocks that "straight from the ocean" look. :)

Yes it's good. It just shows that your tank is maturing and everything is running nicely. Coralline... doesn't really do anything, besides suck up calcium.. But it does look really nice, and it gives your rocks that "straight from the ocean" look. :)

oOo okay, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom