Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2002, 03:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

In the thread you mention, The filters are what I am using in mult. tanks FW & SW. The tank in question does have an aquaclear 200 with a foam pad to catch any larger particles also has a prizm protein skimmer.
The filter has chemi-pure pouches in it as an experiment (it is supposed to cut down on algae, It is working on FW but not in SW).
The sites you sent on the algae look very much like the first one. I will give your suggestions a try. Thanks

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:14 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
How old is the pad? maybe its full of detrius and needs cleaned or replaced.

?

Just an idea that poped in my head

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:24 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
In the thread you mention, The filters are what I am using in mult. tanks FW & SW. The tank in question does have an aquaclear 200 with a foam pad to catch any larger particles also has a prizm protein skimmer.
Sorry, my mistake. Aaron is right, any mechanical filtration has the ability to become a biofilter (producing nitrates) as well as the possibility for the detritus to decay, causeing algae issues. I use a whisper filter on my 20, and I try to clean it 4 times per week (every other day) and change the carbon twice per week.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 12:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

The foam pad is 1 month old and the chemi-pure is 2 months old.
These do not get cleaned as often as yours (maybe I should start cleaning more frequently) I clean both Bi-weekly using tank water. There isn't really any visible buildup on them I clean them to keep the garbage out of them. The entire filter gets taken down as needed. I am not running a live bed in this tank so I do a deep siphon when I change the water. If I had to guess my algae is coming from to much food, Tank is fed only 3 times a week with the exception to seaweed select for the Kole tang & Sailfin blenny. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of this algae. As I said in my earlier post the largest rock has my anenome attached to it so removing this one and scrubbing it is not an option, Also the chemi-pure was an experiment which did not work in SW, so out it comes. I am going to do a two person water change next and scrub the rock in the tank with a siphon hose close by and see how that works. I only run carbon in my tanks every 2nd water change for 1 week and then remove it. Also just recieved new filters and membrane for my R/O unit., Even though they are not that old I am going to replace the Silicate filter, The membrane is original almost 3 years old. Hope this helps get rid of this algae.

Old 11-22-2002, 12:55 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS503
The foam pad is 1 month old and the chemi-pure is 2 months old.
These do not get cleaned as often as yours (maybe I should start cleaning more frequently) I clean both Bi-weekly using tank water. There isn't really any visible buildup on them I clean them to keep the garbage out of them.
This is at least part of your problem. Both are acting as a biological filter. They are unnecessary, the rock will biologically filter the water, better than the filters. The rock also has denitrifying bacterias in proximity to the nitrifying bacteria, so as soon as the nitrate is produced...bingo, it is denitrified.

Old 11-22-2002, 12:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I understand the LR acting as the filter, I just have approx. 15lb in this tank 30 gal. would this still be enough for the rock to help maintain this tank.

Old 11-22-2002, 01:03 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

depending on the bioload...maybe. Keep in mind, that even though you are not allowing any fauna to colonize the sand bed, it is still alive. The upper layer will still preform some nitrification, you are just not getting the benifit of the denitrifying lower layer of the sand bed.

Old 11-22-2002, 01:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 1 Kole Tang, 1 Gold Maroon Clown, 1 sailfin Blenny, 1 Golden coris Wrasse & 1 Pacific anenome. By the way I also put in some grape algae about 2 months ago it is growing well. But not helping reduce this junk. Are you suggesting to stop the deep siphon when I clean the tank?

Old 11-22-2002, 01:21 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, that tank is overstocked. Depending on the size of the fish, this is probably the root of your problem. What ever you do, do not remove those biofilters. As for the sand bed, depending on grain size and sand depth, maybe maybe not. I have what caribsea call their reefgrade sand, next size up from their aragamax. My bed is approx, 2 inches. I do not vacuum it, I am waiting to see if this causes me any probs. I don't think it will cause the nassarius and the ceriths, bury themselves in the sand bed all the time, keeping it moving...slowly.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com