Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool.

Thank you for the cool pics Reefrunner, I did Google last night for Aiptasia and kept coming up with the more pointy kind of aiptasia pics but that was my margarita arfternoon, remember. I see what yall are saying now.

No offense at all MT79, I am just starting to think its aiptasia now just cause I have looked super close at it again and now it seems to match the aiptasia pics, I wish it was a curlyque.

I have attached a pic of a curly q and here is what I have concluded thus far for my mental banks - correct me if I am worng on any of these...

1. Curly q's and non-aiptasia anemones seem to have fuller centers, i.e. more tentacles throughout the middle.

2. aiptasia anemones seem to be fuller in a ringlike pattern with more of an open center where the mouth is

3. aiptasia characteristically have sharp pointy ends, sometimes ballooing up prior to the tip.

4. I am insane for taking up this hobby but I can't seem to stop enjoying myself.

Bang I see the bands on yours too, thats pretty much what I have in my tank.

I see yours is still thriving, isn't he stinging the fish and stuff?

Anyway I'm gonna syringe it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:39 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Yep, that Aiptasia is still thriving. I have it circled by Green Hairy Mushrooms and I believe they prevent it from multiplying or moving. The fish avoid it at all times.

Old 10-20-2003, 12:20 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interestingly, a red leg hermit walked up to mine, stopped cold, then turned around and went the other way.

Maybe he knew, too.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:52 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

From what I have gathered so far is that Aiptasia anemone's are bad because they rapidly multiply and take over the tank. The description given by snapcrackler for Aiptasia is almost identical to the Condi's I put in my tank. Can someone explain what exactly Aiptasia are? Is it a general term for unwanted anemone's? I'm pretty confused cause I really like my Condi's and they do really well with the fish in the tank. (I kind of wish they would mulitply too)

Thanks,
Karl
Old 10-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine has been lemon-ized. So I hope it was an aiptasia.

However, I am now purty sure it was. I have yet to see a pic of a condy with the massive ballooning prior to the tips of each tentacle like my anemone did..

I have attached a pic of a condy and if you compare it with my original pic on page 1 you will see the difference

I hope this helps...
Old 10-22-2003, 02:59 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

That pic is dead on, however I recall one of my smaller Condi's ballooned all but the tips of his tentacles quite often. (Check out the pic in my gallery) Viewing the pic of the ballooned tentacles is what initially sparked my concern, however if they are completely different I wont worry.

Thanks,
Karl
Old 10-28-2003, 11:06 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Can someone explain what exactly Aiptasia are?
Aiptasia is actually a Genus. There are hundreds of different Aiptasia sub-species - thus the subtle differences in coloration, etc. They are known mostly for their ability to reproduce asexually, and quite rapidly.
The nematocysts of aiptasia have a toxin that is more potent than that of most corals maintained in captivity. If I remember right, the only coral that has a more potent sting than Aiptasia is the Elegance coral. This is primarily why Aiptasia are so hated - they can proliferate rapidly, and given their sting, they can potentially kill all other corals and quickly take over a reef tank.

The "Curlique Anemone" (Bartholomea annulata) is in the Aiptasiidae family.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, i.d

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com