Can anyone I.D. this coral plz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanx alot guys
Was searching all over and couldnt figure it out
=)

It's a type of octocoral (8 arms) and it grows like weeds in my system. I have two different brown varieties. The blue colored octocorals are much more difficult. It seems to be pretty tolerant of my other corals, but fights with my mushrooms for space. I have to remove big clumps of it occasionally or it would dominate the reef. I really like it because it adds movement to the tank and the clowns love to host it. I can't stand anemones (personal preference), so this is a good replacement for them.

Attachments

• image-1646784259.jpg
    image-1646784259.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 84
Mine is barely big enough to cover a frag plug
lol
what would u say is the growth rate?

Flow863 said:
Mine is barely big enough to cover a frag plug
lol
what would u say is the growth rate?

It is like a nuclear chain reaction...once it goes...it's gone. I fight it constantly as it grows on everything near it. I would guess it adds 5-10 polyps per day. I let it cover little sacrificial rocks then pull it out. But this is the brown varieties...I have no experience trying to raise the blue variety.

That's 1 way to describe it (I work at a nuclear power plant) and I have anthelia in my tank too. It is a nice coral but if not controlled it can take over the tank real fast.

Would you say the anthelia grows well in sand? That's where mine is placed and I noticed initial growth but it is stalled and often I can see the flow kicking up the "mat" of sand at the bottom.

If it likes the flow, it will grow almost anywhere. Flow, as it turns out, is as important as lighting is to a corals propagation.

ccCapt said:
That's 1 way to describe it (I work at a nuclear power plant) and I have anthelia in my tank too. It is a nice coral but if not controlled it can take over the tank real fast.

I worked for a year at one myself...I enjoyed the experience.

Back
Top Bottom