can anyone id this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reneeanneb

Aquarium Advice Regular
when i first got this guy the lfs said he was a grouper. well a month and a half ago he was wreaking havoc on everything in my tank eating anything that would fit in his mouth.so i took him to the lfs,he said he was a basslet,hes been there up until last nite i went and got him back.(i missed him lol)he was on the verge of death he had fungus on him and the water in the tank they had him in was ice cold.plus no skimmer,and the filter was running with no cartridge or sponge (the tank was nasty)
so i brought him home acclimated him and put him in my 55 gal and medicated the whole tank (i know no quarentine,one of the crabs got a hold of one of the damsels so he needed meds too) anyway i felt terrible cause everytime i went to the lfs he was in a corner almost jet black looking very unhappy,he wouldn't have made it another day.
it was touch and go last nite i wasnt sure he would make it ,but this morning i got up and he is back to his color he was when i first got him and he is swimming happily and the fungus is pretty much gone (good meds)he's so happy to be home lol.
anyway i cant figure out what type of fish he is,i have looked online and he resembles 2 fish one a basslet 2 a type of grouper. but the basslet is supposed to be reef safe but this guy definitly isnt. he a meanie,he doesnt hurt the damsels but he chases em,i'm sure when he gets bigger they'.ll be food.anyway anyone got a guess?
tia

Attachments

• dsc00431.jpg
    dsc00431.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 127
  • dsc00416.jpg
    dsc00416.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 109
I think it's a dampier basselet, Don't know the scientific name and it's been years since I've seen one, but they are members of the psuedochromis (dottyback) family, I believe.

i meant to add this pic the first time here is a close up of his face,his eyes a orangeish reddish.
going to look up some more basslet's
thanx

Attachments

• dsc00413.jpg
    dsc00413.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 109
ok well i've searched and all i can come up with are 2
1 is a chalk basslet he was similar looking but the description doesnt match my guys.
the second is a coney grouper.he matched this almost to a t. same eyes,same temperment,they just have different coloring. i was trying to get a good look to see if he had teeth and he looked like he did,but he doesnt like to be still when i'm looking or trying to take a pic.now if i stand a foot away from the tank and talk to him he'll come up to the glass. (please tell me i'm not the only one who talks to my fish :oops: ) :D

Back
Top Bottom