Can anyone identify this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bansheila

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone.
I'm new to the forum, but I have a question about a fish. I am in charge of the saltwater section at the pet store I work at, and this guy came in miss-labeled at Asst. Damsels. Well, he's definitely not a damsel, but I am at a loss of what he may be.

img_1193157_0_55f1a31744736a178e93a4ce8c6f67e9.jpg

I couldn't get a better picture because he was scared of the camera, but he's about 4.5 in long, and has four very prominent teeth. He doesn't normally have the colors that are in the picture, they are never that prominent (I think the camera may have aggravated him), usually he's a pale white/yellow color. I was thinking maybe some type of grouper, but I couldn't find any groupers that look like he does. He's not overly aggressive though, since he doesn't bother the Valentini puffer he is housed with, but he will take live feeders if they are offered.
I would be grateful for any help identifying this little guy.
Thanks a bunch and good luck!
'Sheila

Wow, I have never seen that either. But price it at $75 and someone will buy it.

Welcome.

My genious at the LFS fish annd other icthy stuff says it is a wrasse of the genus cheilinus. But that it is emaciated and on its last legs.

My genious at the LFS fish annd other icthy stuff says it is a wrasse of the genus cheilinus. But that it is emaciated and on its last legs.

Well, then he's well on his way to recovery. When he came in, which was about a month ago, his bag had leaked. He hardly had any water left and spent two days on the bottom of the hospital tank. I wasn't expecting him to survive the night, but he hung in there. After that, he perked right up and began cruising around the tank, checking eveything out. I transfered him to a display tank after about three days and he's been doing great. He's a good eater, eating everything from flakes to mysis to live feeder guppies.

He's a tough little guy, and I've become quite fond of him. He's got a great personality and I would love to find him a good home. That's why I am trying to figure out what he is. It would be a shame for someone to purchase him and for him to be hurt, or hurt something in someone elses tank. I like to be well informed of the fish I sell, so that people know what they are getting.

Him being a wrasse is definately a possibility. I've looked up the genus that you said, and some of them have the right body shapes, but I still can't find one that fits completely. Is there any possibility he may be a hybrid?

Could be something. He had also mentioned Snooty Wrasse. I have no idea. Good story though.

I think I found him! Cabezon, I looked up the Snooty Wrasse, but that wasn't him either. So, on the site I was looking, I started browsing through all of the wrasse they had available and I came across this one...

Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies and Pond Supplies by That Fish Place - That Pet Place

It’s called a oxycheilinus celebicus, or a Celebes Wrasse. So it was a genus of cheilinus, like your guy said.
The description for him said that they generally do well with others of equal or larger sizes, but may harass smaller fish. Generally does not prey on corals, but can go after inverts.
So, thanks a lot! Your suggestions lead me to the right fish!

Back
Top Bottom