Can anyone tell me what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a clear film type of thing growing on my rocks. It doesn't seem to be effecting my corals or anything, but it is very ugly looking.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What can I do about it? Thanks for the response!

I tried that when I did my water change today but it doesn't come off even when I try to knock it loose with the hose. It's on all the rocks.

you may need to use a tooth brush , scrubbing the rock as you siphon out the crud
it's a pain but everyone one time or another had this stuff , it can turn to red slim if not addressed

Ok will do next water change.

Just let it be... It's not killing anything. If you have proper filtration... It should go away

Last edited by a moderator:
Use chemiclean to treat cyano bacteria and bump up the salinity to 1.028 for a week max. The fish should be okay and the coral will be fine. I know when I had it in my tank it looked clear in the beginning then purplish blue, then it turned red. When the cyano dies it will make your nitrates go up really fast so make sure to replace filters and media for the next month to get rid of all the bad stuff. If you have activated carbon put it in the tank after the cyano dies for a day or two to capture unwanted nitrate, just be sure to take it out because it will become a nice place to spread all of it back into the tank once the carbon cannot absorb anymore. Here is my tank after treating it. I hope this helps
1b3debd55a93224f44197da21d1cdd00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have activated carbon put it in the tank after the cyano dies for a day or two to capture unwanted nitrate

I'm afraid carbon will absorb absolutely no Nitrate what so ever it will however absorb toxins, medication , treatments ect

What you are experiencing is just a natural process of a tank maturing just about every marine system will go through this stage make sure you keep good flow in the tank and plenty of water changes to keep water in check and it will burn it's self out after a while don't just go adding chemicals the best thing to have is patience and that's free :)

Back
Top Bottom