Can someone please ID these...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minkota

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a piece of live rock that I acquired from a friend and I put it in a bucket without really looking at it but when I got home and looked at it prior to putting it into the tank I noticed some odd looking stuff on it. It looks like some type of slime but it is hard to the touch and does not rub off almost like a glob of hardened Elmer's glue. Is it a type of algae or coral? Can someone please tell me what it is an is it safe for my reef tank.

Attachments

• image-3418274717.jpg
    image-3418274717.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image-4202708514.jpg
    image-4202708514.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1765934142.jpg
    image-1765934142.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 97
I am going to take it to a local fish store this afternoon and see what the think.

Minkota said:
I have a piece of live rock that I acquired from a friend and I put it in a bucket without really looking at it but when I got home and looked at it prior to putting it into the tank I noticed some odd looking stuff on it. It looks like some type of slime but it is hard to the touch and does not rub off almost like a glob of hardened Elmer's glue. Is it a type of algae or coral? Can someone please tell me what it is an is it safe for my reef tank.

No idea-sorry.

I took it to a local fish store and they said it was a type of sponge and nothing to worry about.

It looks like some sort of encrusting sponge ! Should be fine and nothing to worry about !

Back
Top Bottom