Can you ID this clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gurnie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What type of black clownfish is this?

img_832869_0_fb7f424c97c21f769ee8670a3987e212.jpg

Looks like a Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish.

How can you tell between Ocellaris Clownfish and Percula clownfish?

Per liveaquaria.com:
"The True Percula is a very bright orange, whereas, the Ocellaris tends to be more drably colored. The Percula Clownfish also has a thicker black outline to its white body stripes."

Ah, so I can get a orange mate Ocellaris Clownfish (aka false percula, correct?) and everything should be fine, correct?

Color alone isn't always a good indicator. False perc - A.ocellaris has 11 dorsal spines (10 in A.percula), and 17 pectoral rays (16 in A.percula).

agreed, but have you tried counting your fish's spines while they dart across the tank? its quite tricky :lol:

I think you're right. I think it might be a black saddle back fish. The fish is over a year old, so I assume since it was kept by itself its a female.

So do i need to get another saddle back or can it pair with an ocellaris or a purcula?

It is in fact a saddle back . They are agressive fish so pairing it with another breed will likely lead to the demise of the new fish . Even pairing it with another saddle back will be difficult ....but if you wish a second fish a saddle back would be the way to go

It is in fact a saddle back
That is debatable. The name saddleback comes from the fact the "middle stripe" is not a stripe that goes all the way down to it's underside. It only goes maybe 1/2 way down and forms the shape of a saddle. The fish in question looks like the stripe goes all the way down.
Here's a pic right from AA's photo gallery.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11441

Sadielynn said:
This was positivly IDd by dr frank marni
saddle back clown pic is about 2/3rds the way down

I'm sorry, but did you mean someone has ID this specific fish or a fish that is similar to it (the linked fish).

If it is for sure a saddleback can someone point me to some info on this particular clown? My google-fu is off today.

So what family of clown does it belong to, or is it its own species?

Back
Top Bottom