Can you identify this alge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Not sure what exactly this is, can anyone help identify and tell me the best way to approach if it's really bad. Thanks! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392001485.681600.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392001510.003124.jpg

Not sure what exactly this is, can anyone help identify and tell me the best way to approach if it's really bad. Thanks! View attachment 221777View attachment 221778

Looks like dinoflagellates. From my experience, I was able to get rid of them by carefully scraping with a tooth brush and catching it in a net or a turkey baster, doing 25% water changes every 5 - 7 days and cutting back on the lighting and feeding. For some people, it's a massive battle though. If you google "dinoflagellates and reef tanks" you can confirm by an image search that this is what you have (the gas bubbles are a dead give away). If you search the same thing on the web, you'll see thousands of posts about it. Some people seem to go to extremes to get rid of them. Before you get too crazy in your approach, I would recommend common sense things like water changes, reducing lighting, feeding sparingly, and suctioning off the stuff. Check to make sure you have no dead snails and things like that. For me, it blew over in a couple of weeks with careful maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom