Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I've never seen a peppermint shrimp eat a healthy coral. Duncans are at the same level as euphyllia in my experience. What makes you think you cant keep the hammer? How old is your tank and what lighting is over it?

Old 05-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I've never seen a peppermint shrimp eat a healthy coral. Duncans are at the same level as euphyllia in my experience. What makes you think you cant keep the hammer? How old is your tank and what lighting is over it?

It is easiest if I answer your questions in reverse order... as the last question will probably answer it all.

My tank is only a bit over 2 months old, and currently, lighting is barely adequate. Single bulb T8 50/50 actinic/10 000k 24". My plan was to upgrade this month, I have it all chosen and sitting in my cart on Amazon - but then life (my 9 year old daughter is being assessed for brain surgery) got in the way. Now, I don't have the time, and need to conserve the money for meals, travel, lodging etc, as the assessment and surgery will be 200 km from home.

As far as the peppermint shrimp, perhaps it is just perceived risk - if they'll eat Aiptasia, who's to say they won't cause grief if it isn't available?

The hammer, aside from the Kenya tree that seems to be thriving on benign neglect in my tank, would bet first coral. To have it coming into the tank at the same time I am leaving, I think would be unkind to the coral and perhaps very detrimental to my tank overall (such as it is for a newbie).

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe the store would keep it for your for awhile due to your medical situation which takes priority. My lfs coral lady kept my coral for a long time for me. You could ask. Then it will keep growing in the tank and maybe in a couple months you could be ready for it.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Sorry to hear of your hardship. I wish you and your daughter the best.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com