Chemical warfare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picoreef2.5

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, roughly three months ago I purchased a frag from a lfs and it had zoas and blue clove polyps on it here it is a few days after acclimationImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429678174.835485.jpgthe day after ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429678211.220255.jpg two more months along ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429678276.236173.jpg a few days ago i did a 50% water change to deal with a hair algae problem the clove polyps struck back ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429678360.002713.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429678374.251468.jpganyone seen this star like behavior in zoas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Salinity 1.024
pH 8.4
Alkalinity 3.4meq/l (9.52 dKH)
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1300
I believe the ph dropped over time from tops offs then this last 50% water change it got fixed, do blue clove polyps open and close depending upon ph?

A sudden change could have done that. I've seen polyps and zoas live just fine together, but them going chemical could be in the cards. I'd keep some carbon running just in case.

I have carbon in my filter, swapped it out about a month ago for a fresh one, i just turned on the blue light, in an hour ill turn on my t5 and take pics , well see who got to the light first today

Also has anyone see zoas do this weird star thing? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429737209.896608.jpg

IImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429922906.535469.jpgits back to how it was now

If your alk levels were fine...what was your phosphate level? I've heard of polyps not doing well in too clean of water, pulsing xenia comes to mind right away.
That said, whatever happened the zoas have out competed the blue polyps for sure. I wouldn't expect to see them again if they went away so quickly.

Im unsure but i also have xenia and they are doing great

I've never seen Blue Cloves die out so easily. Usually people are ripping their tanks down because they can't get rid of those things. They are like Xenia, and grow faster than a weed.

Back
Top Bottom