clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone identify this for me. It appears to be a clam of some sort. It is open and does not respond to anything so I believe it is dead. The thing is, I have about 4-5 of these on the new LR. I want to see if I need to remove them from the curing vessel and place them in my tank.

Dead clams are sure to keep the ammonia up, right? Will these be beneficial at all?

Thanks

do you hand feed them? Should I take them off the LR and put them in my tank?

Is that too many clams to have in a 75 gal?

Clams are actually know for filtering ammonia, but the level in your curing vessel may get to high. I have them on my rock, I have never directly fed them, but have fed blender mush for the last year and they are still going strong. Personally, I would continue curing the rock with the clams in there...if they make it they make it ;)

Well a bunch died over night :( The water stank up the house when we came home from work. I had to move the rock to a new container with fresh water. I wish I would have just got rock now ...

I wish I would have just got rock now ...

As opposed to LR? These critters are part and parcel ;) Keep up with the water changes and you will preserve alot of the life on the rock, some die off is inevitable though.

LR I like. I think I could have doe without the clams :)

My house stunk tonight. I bet you I collected 5-6 dead clams and there are 2-3 still left on the rock. BTW, when the clams come off the rock they leave a tab or something on the rock. What is this?

Another sad thing is that the cool coral/plant are all growing on the clam shells. Can this be cut off?

Back
Top Bottom