Clear Eggshape Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no bubble algae on that rock. That's just gases leaving the rock. Nothing to worry about.

There is no bubble algae on that rock. That's just gases leaving the rock. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah I'm gonna leave it alone for a little while and see how things go. If they end up turning green like bubble algae I will get some emerald crabs as suggested above. As for now the bubbles don't look like bubble algae...at least not yet.

I'm beginning to suspect my LFS might have sold me uncured rock as it has some dead zoas and my ammonia went up and down a short while ago. Got the rock about 2-3 weeks ago and it might have started a cycle converting nitrates in this nitrogen gas. No more shopping at that store.

Well, that's the nitrogen cycle, when the anaerobic bacteria converts the nitrates to gas. You want that. That is no indication of uncured rock. Ammonia readings however, are.
Never assume rock has been cycled/cured.
Most LFS's only have one rock tank. When the rock has been in there for a few weeks to a month, they consider it cured, but when they get a new load of rock in, they just toss it in the same tank, thus starting all over again.

Well, that's the nitrogen cycle, when the anaerobic bacteria converts the nitrates to gas. You want that. That is no indication of uncured rock. Ammonia readings however, are.
Never assume rock has been cycled/cured.
Most LFS's only have one rock tank. When the rock has been in there for a few weeks to a month, they consider it cured, but when they get a new load of rock in, they just toss it in the same tank, thus starting all over again.

One of the LFS employees told me they got the rock the same day I bought it. The problem was I assumed it was cured because that's what they normally sell. And yes they do have only one tank for live rock. Gotta be more careful next time.

Back
Top Bottom