Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Clown Fish ID Help

I purchased a mated pair of what were sold to me as black Sebae Clowns. I was aware at the time that they were most likely not Sebaes but they appeared very healthy and the pair got along well so I baught them anyway. I've been looking at pictures of Sebaes and I have only seen them with two stripes. The ones I have look most like Clarkiis. I dont have means to take a picture but i hope a good description will suffice.

the smaller male is almost completely black
The larger female is more dark brownish but still very dark with a browner/ yellowish coloring on her stomach. This lighter coloring gradually fades into her dark body.
three stripes
second stripe continues on the dorsal fin
third stripe ends into the yellow tail
they both have a black patch (of no discernable pattern) on the end of their tail

I was wondering if there was a type of Clarkii that is black. I was also wondering the significance if any of the (very small) black patch on there tales. I would appreciate any help.
P.S. if any more description would aid your ID i would be more than willing to provide it- I kept this as brief as i could to prevent reader boredom.

Suprised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

By your description there are quite a few "close" match's. See if there is anything <<here>> that comes close. It's actually quite hard to ID some critters just by description.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for the help. I believe it to be a Clarkii with the melanistic variation discussed on the page. That would have been my guess as they look almost identicle to other Clarkiis i have seen but these are the only Clarkiis ive seen that are black. Beautiful little fish-

Thanks a lot
Suprised is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com