Collected this guy in our sea water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurebloodFerret

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Didn't realise this little guy jumped ship when we were collecting water, anyone know what he is?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390582125.607465.jpg

Looks like ether a silverside or some type of elongated cardinal? Where do you live? That will help ID. Do you collect that seawater for your WCs? When stores sell seawater it goes through different stages of filtration and normal seawater no madder anywhere in the world carries some pollution and when put in a aquarium will kill modt fish and inverts.'

If you collect from far enough offshore you should be fine after all it isn't killing all the oceans fish/inverts. On the id maybe some type of mullet?

I live in Brisbane QLD, we collect our water from the Gold Coast in an area called The Spit, which is where all our lfs get their saltwater from as well.

This isn't a fish that I am familiar with...but this is a total question for one of our other users Tony Gill. This would be right up his alley. If no one can get an ID on this guy, send him a PM and see if he can help. Just give it a day or 2. He might see the thread.

we put our water through the filter before putting it in the tank, no one seems to be bothered by it 100% of our water is what we've collected from there plus conditioned tap water/rain water. I do worry about impurities myself but as brink said there's plenty of fish in the water where we collect, we have to shoo them out of our buckets half the time. Owning a 150L/40g tank as a student is very expensive, this is the only way that I can afford the water changes on top of everything else :)

I've tried taking better photos this morning I hope they help

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390604064.661603.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390604126.883515.jpg

Well we took him to our lfs because he didn't look happy and we weren't sure about compatibility for our tank, and he became a very tasty meal for one big volitan lionfish that the guys had been having trouble getting to eat. I was sad that his naive jump into our collection buckets ended in such a violent fate for him, but happy that a fussy, grumpy fish got a good meal :) RIP little buddy!

Well we took him to our lfs because he didn't look happy and we weren't sure about compatibility for our tank, and he became a very tasty meal for one big volitan lionfish that the guys had been having trouble getting to eat. I was sad that his naive jump into our collection buckets ended in such a violent fate for him, but happy that a fussy, grumpy fish got a good meal :) RIP little buddy!

Why didnt you just go get more water and dump him back?

We have to travel an hour to get our water, and collect 200L at a time, so it's not exactly a quick trip to do very often

It's clearly a pelagic fish. I'm not sure what species it is but it looks like something that would eat plankton.

Sorry, only just noticed this message. It is indeed a silverside ... or hardyhead in Australia. It looks to be a species of Atherinomorus. I'll have to do a little looking around to work out the species. (It's been a while since I've had to identify any Australian species in this genus, and I know that the names of some species have changed.) I'll get back to you once I've had a chance to look at it more carefully.

Tony

Wow. Being able to collect your own saltwater is a concept us Canadians will never understand. I'm jealous.

I am in Ontario so no oceans near us. Only high snow banks and icy roads.

Im in central NC so the closest oceans 4hrs away, but thats cold water where all you find is ghost crabs and snappers, the closest tropical waters are flordia, 13hrs away.

Aww yeah I think us near a coast line do take for granted how easy it is to get our own. The trick is to find an area mostly undisturbed and to get as far away from the shore line as possible, which is tricky without your own boat lol

Back
Top Bottom