Copepods..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aadair22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I added some chaeto to my Refugium a couple of weeks ago and have been waiting to see pods swimming around in my tank.. Well I was just searching around in my Refugium and saw a bunch of little... Things... Crawling around my return pump.. There is a bunch of them, but only crawling.. Haven't seen anything swimming.. Are these copepods or amphipods?

I can kinda see it, looks like it. One way is to shine a light in there at night, cover the light with something red, go stealth and you'll see them all over the place.

Ok I was going to try that.. I would be really surprised if I don't have some kind of pods in my systems since I added the chaeto.. Just haven't seen anything swimming, just crawling, and every video I have looked up on YouTube has them, for the most part, swimming.

Convict2161 said:
Mine are usually crawling on the sand bed or on the glass.

X2

The only time I really see mine "swimming" is when a powerhead catching them and blows them around the tank. Otherwise I just see them crawling around my rock, chaeto, sand, and glass

After looking at more pics on google, I'm pretty sure I am looking at copepods (it would make sense after all) but a couple months ago I did find a copepod in my canister filter.. Until now that was the only time I had seen one in my tank

Spotted said:
Those are amphipods. Copepods are really small, but you probably got them too.

Actually they are copepods, amphipods don't have a tail like that. The way I easily tell them apart is like this, copepods tend to walk on all legs upright and have a tail similar to a shrimp or lobster, isopods look the same without the tail and amphipods look like a freshwater shrimp- they have an arched back and tend to scurry around on their sides.

kdpuffer said:
Actually they are copepods, amphipods don't have a tail like that. The way I easily tell them apart is like this, copepods tend to walk on all legs upright and have a tail similar to a shrimp or lobster, isopods look the same without the tail and amphipods look like a freshwater shrimp- they have an arched back and tend to scurry around on their sides.

Thank you that's what I thought... When I found an amphipod in my filter the first time I actually thought it was some sort of baby shrimp.. What I tried to take a picture looks like what I've seen on google and what you just described.

Back
Top Bottom