coral eating crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beeholtz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have had 2 ricordeas get eaten by something and i recently found this hitchhiker in my tank and just got it out... any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• DSC00032.jpg
    DSC00032.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 131
Looks like a rock crab, one black claw indicates that he may well snag a sleeping fish and may well pick at zoas , but as it grows may go for a larger prize such as the fish i mentioned. If you have out, give away or banish to a sump.

This is a crab I caught eating the tips off my acropora validia. Looks very similar to yours. I put it in my sump.
crab_10-20-08.jpg

I don't know how many of these I have come across since starting my SW tank some time ago. I would have to say at least a dozen from 65lbs. They all migrated into the sump. The only crabs that i keep in the DT are ones that I keep in the DT are emeralds.

I guess that one good thing to living in oklahoma lol.. the LR I get never has any hitchhikers. I guess it goes through so many hands that by the time my LFS gets it and cures it its just..algae on it..you miayg et a mushroom or two but that about it.. and an aptasia but i dont think its possible to rid the rocks completley of those.. i kill 1 and see 2 more...

Back
Top Bottom