Coral eating snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picoreef2.5

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few if my corals look eaten :/ i have 3 babie snails unsure if they hitch hiked or the turbo snails had them, are there snails that eat coral??!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will after i cook dinner i stirred up the water around em to see if a tentacle or something was stuck first i think they are purple people eaters

Hmm good to know so they opened back to how they were ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424922432.932578.jpg

No i havent these came with tank and so far have been fine and growing like crazy

And today after work i see this

To see what? There is no pic.

Do you think maybe it could be your lighting? I think if it was a predator, it would start at the outer edge of the colony and work it's way in. I don't think a carnivore would pass perfectly good food in order to start at the center.

Could light do this? Heres what i have for lights, the strip gets turned on for an hour first then the hood and at night the hood comes off and the strips on for an hour till all lights go off, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424966228.412323.jpg this tank was a gift and came with the lighting

It's possible. Adjusting to LED lighting can be difficult and a long process for corals. How long were these palys under this light?
I'm just guessing here, but the one polyp seems to be expelling it's gut. Sometimes it takes weeks to see the effect light has on corals. Years ago I changed out metal halide bulbs, then about 2 weeks later all my softies closed up and started melting away and my sps bleached. They recovered, but it wasn't until I shielded them from some of the light that they opened back up.

They have been under the hood for 4 months and under both the led strip and hood for 3 months , its strange that leds would do that but it makes sense the corals are receiving a different type of light

Some times zs/ps just melt for no reason too, I had some melt away from 15 polyps down to 2 and now they've grown back to around 10. Zoas can be fickle....

No i havent, when im home from work ill take pics of how they look today, hopefully they look better

Back
Top Bottom