Coral ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this Coral about two months ago and never wrote his name down, now I have forgot. All I remember is he needs high light. Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

• 20100705_63.jpg
    20100705_63.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20100705_64.jpg
    20100705_64.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 53
Definitely an acro of some sort... was it that color when you got it? It doesn't look so good.

I know the pictures make it look much darker, almost black. It's a light velvet, same as the day I saw it in the fish store. He's growing real slow though, not sure how fast there supposed to. But he is growing, I've been watching a branch sprought out the middle, seems to be flatning out. Thanks guys.

I got two T5 HO fixtures. They are 30" and have two 39w bulbs each. If by levels you mean parameters, they are normal as of saturday the 3rd. I haven't tested calcium in a while though, I can't find the test kits anywhere.

You can tell me to shut-up at anytime if i begin to pester you, I'm just trying to help you color that up. Chances are there is a lot of potential in that little frag. :p

Whats normal, do you record your levels that you could give some exact numbers?
Do you test for phosphates?

Chances are that your nutrient levels are pretty high, just doing some simple things can drop those and you will see a lot better growth and color out of your SPS.

Oh no, I will take all the help I can get. Let's see, pH 8.1 - ammonia .25/0 - nitrate 25 ppm - salinity 1.022. That's all I got. Please do tell what those things are to give me the growth and benifits I need.

Those lights I got are 36", I typed the wrong thing, not that it matters.

I would start by trying to drop that nitrate below 20ppm and moving that frag as close to the light as you can. I would also order a calcium, alk and a phosphate test if you can spring for one. Calcium and alk levels for sure are a really important measurement with SPS. excess phosphates will very easily cause that brown out.
Should be like $20 if you get them online.

Definatly going to get those test kits. What's the best way to drop nitrates? My lights have the blue bulbs in one fixture, and white in the other. It's to get them on seprate timers so the blues come on first and go off last. The acro is as high as I could put him, but he's under the blue light. Is this good or bad seeing as the bulbs don't interchange blue to white?

Looks a little like a tabling acro but more like a tort to me than anything. They like lots of flow and strong light. I agree with Jimbo about getting your nitrates at or below 20, however the presence of ammonia is a bigger concern.

Back
Top Bottom