Coral ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssapp94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this from my lfs. It looks like there are a couple pieces glued(?) to a clam shell. The girl couldn't remember what is was called. They look somewhat hairy and when I blow shrimp on them the appear to "grab". I found think lettuce coral online but wasn't sure that was correct because there's not common center to any of the pieces. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I thought I attached it, I am still trying to figure it out

nope, lights are on. It may be because it was taken with my phone. IDK.

You think it is Dying? or is that name a type of coral? It actually looks better now than when I got it.

Last edited:
Idk what kind it is but the fact that u see so much of the skeleton I think it's dieing I'd wait on one of the more experienced guys to chime in but my cents for what it's worth

It could be encrusting Hydnophora...Hard to tell from that picture, but that stuff is usually green. What lighting do you have over this tank?

I only picked him up yesterday from the store. They had him in no overhead lighting. I am Still new to the lighting, I bought the whole set up used. My lighting is Metal Halide (I believe) it has 3 of the bulbs in the picture and 2 moon lights for night time. Brings me to another question the guy I got it all from has it set roughly 15" from the tank. Is that too far? I have also attached a picture of another piece of that coral that fell off the shell. I just laid it on my rock., either way they are def. brown. the one in this picture looks better than the other where "hair" is flowing on it and is reactive when I blow shrimp on him. Thank you guys for all your help. I also now have a red turf algae literally show in with a coup hours this afternoon, all my numbers read fine. Could this coral have brought it in?

Attachments

• coral id 2.jpg
    coral id 2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 133
  • lighting.jpg
    lighting.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 124
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 168
Those lamps appear to be for plant or industrial lighting. Read the inscription on them. The height over the tank depends on what wattage they are really. If they are not powerful, you'll need to lower the fixture. That fixture is a dinosaur. it looks like an old Hamilton housing with spider reflectors retro'd in it.
You are going to need to start researching new lamps for that. It appears as though that fixture is putting off a lot of yellow light, which is a great spectrum for algae/plant life, but not as good for corals.

Still not sure about the coral. Merulina or Encrusting Hydnophora I'm guessing. Google those and see if they look familiar.

Thank you very much, That makes sense. I was just googling yellow looking tank. That would be the reason because out of the tank my water is crystal. I will start researching new lighting.

Thank you very much, That makes sense. I was just googling yellow looking tank. That would be the reason because out of the tank my water is crystal. I will start researching new lighting.

I would hold off on any new corals until you get new lights/bulbs. A tank that size needs a decent amount of white/blue light which is not cheap at all, no matter if it's going to be t5, metal halides or LED's

How long have you had the tank set up? Looks pretty new, no fish yet. do you have any power heads? Can't see any in the pic...

Yes, pretty new. Damsel fish and 4 power heads. All I have was previously set up. So when I set it up it went through what the reef guy explained to me as a mini cycle. Put the damsel in there and then just the two coral. I def will wait until I get better lighting before getting more coral. The light was explained as great for coral when I got it, but after hearing from you all I'm thinking not so much maybe. I don't know

It may very well be, with some new lamps in it. Read the bulbs that are in it now. There should be something that tells how many watts they are. Let us know what you find.

It may very well be, with some new lamps in it. Read the bulbs that are in it now. There should be something that tells how many watts they are. Let us know what you find.

The 3 round bulbs themselves don't say much that makes sense to me. Where it screws in days 4kv and the two others are the 2 long bulbs are super actinic fr40t12/vho.

I haven't been running them together until after reading up in lighting last night about actinic and all, when I run them at the same time I get a much whiter appearance. Is this the way they are intended to run?

I'm retarded I know, I was thinking the actinic (before I read them) were moon lights for at night.

If they are meant to run together does that mean I don't need a "moon" light? I'm so confused. I think lighting is harder to figure out for me than the tank itself is.

Moon lights are for aesthetics. You don't need them at all. You will need to figure out what wattage those 3 lamps are so you can find suitable replacements, and basically, know how much potential you've got there.
Is there anything written on the ballasts?

Yeah, the long tubes are T12 VHO, which is "very high output". those are probably 110 watts or so, depending on the length.

attachment.php

in this pict it looks like a clam on the half shell
def not doing to well

Found them. They are 175 Watt each (have 3) is that good? I copied from the web site .... 175 watt metal halide lamp with a BT28 shaped glass, clear finish, 4000K, and a E39 mogul base.

So i should be running the actinic with the metal halide, correct?

Thank you again for all your help:angel:

attachment.php

in this pict it looks like a clam on the half shell
def not doing to well

def. not a clam. the pic is a clam shell with 2 pieces glued standing up (why? I don't know) but I have a piece that came unglued on my rock, it is completely brown and when you blow on them they react so he's alive. I just don't know what he is or what to do for him. lol

:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom