Coral ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wife surpised me yesterday w/ this coral (I think because she loves me or she wants something). I've tryed to ID it but can not.

TIA

Moderate flow, moderate - high lighting, they are considered difficult corals and are closely related to gonipora and suffer from the same problems, although Alveapora are considered a bit easier than gonis.

reefrunner69 said:
Alveapora sp. aka Daisey coral, flower pot coral.

Hate to call you to task RR...but a Flower Pot coral and a Alveapora are two different corals.

Goniopora (sp?) is the coral commonly referred to as a Flower Pot coral. It is not nearly has hearty as the Alveapora :wink:

Edit: But I'll let you slide on it since you kinda caught yourself in the following post :wink:

Page 238 of Aquarium corals by Eric Borneman:

Genus Alveapora de Blainville, 1830
(al'-vee-oh-pohr'-ah)
Common species: A. allingri, A. catalai, A. fenestrata and others.
Common Names: daisey coral, ball coral, flowerpot coral

The problem with common names is that they are not specific, and are often regional, in Dallas, they may be sold exclusively as daisey corals, but that is not necessarily the case here, which is why I gave the two common names I've seen it for sale as, had I read the entry in Bornemans book before answering, I also would have included the third ;)

Back
Top Bottom