Coral Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
All,
I have a 55G tank, i have been doing the Fish Only for quite some time and have been slowly working my way into converting for a Reef. I picked up some coral for free from a LPS who was going out of business. Their tank still had water in it, but was shut down, no pump, heater, etc. They gave most of their fish away. Luckily i was able to save a Mandarine even though the water was 40 degrees F! anyway i picked up multiple pieces of coral and what i thought were mushrooms. Although i fealt them and they felt like leather. I need help identifying what the items in my tank now are, or if they are dead, dying, or healthy, what can i salvage ? sorry for all of the links, couldnt figure out how to put images here.

Pictures at links below:
1.) Picasa Web Albums - M Maglione

2.) Picasa Web Albums - M Maglione

3.) Picasa Web Albums - M Maglione

4.) Picasa Web Albums - M Maglione This is not a pollyp it looks like some sort of brain coral ? Im not sure

5.) Picasa Web Albums - M Maglione

6.) Picasa Web Albums - M Maglione I was told this is very valuable, but to me it looks dead. the LPS /LFS said they sold for $60 a pop but they were not sure what they were haha.

Thanks a bunch.

1. assorted soft corals - I'm not a soft coral guy, so I haven't a clue if they're alive or not. They don't look happy though, that's for sure.

2. yellow tang, alive - sorry... couldn't resist.

3. really not sure, except it looks like some type of SPS coral. Whatever it is/was, it was from ORA since I think they're the only ones that use that type of plug. Looks dead to me, but you can never tell...

4. If we're not looking at the polyps on the right, I'm not sure what to look at...

5. Looks like the same stuff as #4... very unhappy zoanthids. Probably alive, but really really ticked off.

6. Looks like a Scolymia to me... at least the skeleton. Yup... dead from what I see. Even if they sold them for $60, it would've been a steal (assuming they were alive, of course.)

Tank water was 40 degrees F? I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they managed to do that, even with turning the heaters off. Were there icicles hanging from the ceiling of the store?!

I agree with Kurt on all the ID's. The 1st pic looks like a white, dead, hard coral skeleton in back with a cabbage leather in front of it and 2 kenya tree corals next to it.

Thanks so much guys! Do they look alive? im thinking they do, what is the general care guidelines for corals like these since i just got them and will have to nurse them back to good health? Do they spread / Bud etc?

Back
Top Bottom