Coral or algae???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjh302

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a used setup and I'm not sure what this stuff is. It seems to be growing. Is it a coral? And if so what kind?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389832824.730008.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389832855.612217.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389832872.546113.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389832882.812124.jpg

It really is a pest. Its called aiptasia. Do a search on the site here and you'll find several ways to get rid of it.

It really is a pest. Its called aiptasia. Do a search on the site here and you'll find several ways to get rid of it.

Oh crap!! Seriously? It' kinda cool looking. But it really seems to be growing in the past few days.

Two of the pieces are about the size of half dollars.

I just bought 5 and a copper banded butterfly that supposedly helps too

I have always loved the look of the copper banded butterfly! I hope to get one this year.

I put him in yesterday and haven't seen him since! :-/

Copper Banded Butterflies usually starve to death in closed systems. I hope you saw it eat before you bought it.

A fish tank. Not the ocean

Gotcha. I can see him behind my live rock picking at the bottom. Is there a way to acclimate him to my system and be happy? Also I have brown stuff on too of my sand all of a sudden and on my live rock. If I turn my rock over it is white but on top it is brown. Doesn't really seem to be algae. Any thoughts?

Well butterfly fish aren't really a beginner fish and I don't think the shrimp will go for the large aiptasia IME they may eat the smaller ones but that can be hit or miss. Your best bet is a removal product or method. I had some take over a 10g when I was away for 3 months for training at my job (tank sitter thought it was a new coral I had added) and I ended up moving all live stock out and taking a torch to the little sob's and it was oddly satisfying

Gotcha. I can see him behind my live rock picking at the bottom. Is there a way to acclimate him to my system and be happy? Also I have brown stuff on too of my sand all of a sudden and on my live rock. If I turn my rock over it is white but on top it is brown. Doesn't really seem to be algae. Any thoughts?

Copper bands are just tough to keep alive in general.

Back
Top Bottom