coralline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have these yellow green patches all over the back and sides of my tank. They are very hard to SCRAPE off. I need to use nail finger nail to scrape them off. A magnetic scraper wont cut it, just like coralline. The tank in six mos. old and little coralline on tank itself. Since I started getting this, there has been some definite purple coralline coming in around the same area. Is this just immature coralline growth or something bad.

I have a lot of these on my back glass. Fortunately they only grow there where I don't care to scratch them off.

OK, my tank is now overgrown with this green coralline. If I scrape it off, will the mushrooms and polyps eat any of the debris. should I do a big water change afterwards as well. Only tank inhabitants are shrooms (various), polyps (various), and snails. Next question, wont I just be seeding my entire tank with all of the little pieces floating around?

If I scrape it off, will the mushrooms and polyps eat any of the debris

Nope.

Next question, wont I just be seeding my entire tank with all of the little pieces floating around?

Yep

If you don't want it to spread more (it's gonna whether you want it to or not), you can siphon it out as you scrape.

When my tank starts it, is it bad to just let it go on the back glass?
I wipe the sides and front. I was thinking on letting the back go...

How bad is it to do?

I know it's gonna spread on its own, I just thought I would be speeding uo the process if I pulverized it all. I guess i will just need to syphon as I scrape.
Thanks Kevin :wink:

I was thinking you didn't want it to spread, yes, by scraping and letting it float through out the tank, it will seed it in other areas ;)

You're right Kev, I do not want it to spread. It's bad enough as it is. I have given up scraping it off the sides, too much rockwork and critters to move.

Why not just leave it unless your tank is seen on all sides just keep it clean on the front with a magnet every couple days and youll be fine. One day it will get covered in different colors of coraline and make it look cool.

Back
Top Bottom