Coralline Algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have done my reading up and im pretty sure i have the start of it, i have a neon green one that im pretty sure is coralline and the start of the purple. Im wondering if im correct, and if they both can be growing together in the same tank. The purple is more on the live rock and is a little harder to see its just the start but pretty sure thats it, and from what i have read pretty sure my green stuff is coralline as well. Havnt touched it but it doesnt come off easy the snails go over it and it doesnt come off easy doesnt stick up or isnt hairy it seems like its hard and on the rock. Please let me know and see if you can help me out.

Attachments

• algea.jpg
    algea.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 135
  • algea2.jpg
    algea2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 135
  • algea3.jpg
    algea3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 146
I had the same thing several weeks ago. Someone suggested adding magnesium and calcium and it will assist in turning it more pink - which it has.

well i dont mind the green color and that on my dry live rock but on my live rock the brown one is where the purple is popping up, so is the green coralline because i have read there can be different colors

Hard to say, at least for me. I have a 20g tank with rocks that are a kinda lime green but I know it isn't coralline since I had zero coralline to begin with, it was all base rock.

I have had green turn purple and red so it;s possible. If the tank is relatively new it could just be your run of the mill algae.

Just do your water changes and coralline will come. ( as long as you have some already, even a tiny bit) The water changes will keep your parameters good and coralline will grow under those conditions.

yeah i do my PWC religiously, not sure on the green stuff and its hard to see in the picture with the live rock but its def. purple and slowing coming up more and more, i guess i just have to wait and watch and hope.

Everything in saltwater is about patience. LOL Just give it some time and it will take over. You;ll see ;-)

Thanks Carey, thats the hardest part about this Hobby

My 36 gallon has been up since november. It took about 3 months to see coraline start showing up after introducing it. Now it is all over. I pit my lr rubble in this setup to get coraline on it and then glue frags onto the rubble for my 55 reef that has been up for about 2 months.

I remember a couple of years ago when I first setup my tank and was waiting soooo anxiously for my first growth of coraline algae ,.. I added some " purple up" just to get things rolling ,.. Of course since then i have discovered you really don't need anything to bump start it like that,..as everybody says,...it'll just come,...I think for most people, it's kind of the first really good sign that you're on your way with your salt water tank.
It's all exciting,..as Carey said,...everything goes slow with saltwater ... Enjoy the build!

Back
Top Bottom