couple new frags, not sure on ID...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought a couple frags at the LFS today, not sure about the ID.

The branching one was sold to me as Pocillopora damicornis...In the pic it hasn't settled in fully, it was very polypy/fuzzy at the LFS.

The other was sold as Montipora capricornis (Plating Monti), I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but am not sure the species name given was correct.

Te first one is definately a M. Cap.

The second one??? Cool lookin' coral but I haven't got a clue. If it does well would you send me a frag in the spring?

Guy

Bang Guy said:
Cool lookin' coral but I haven't got a clue. If it does well would you send me a frag in the spring?

LOL, it's in a 20g tank..if it does well, I may have to send you a frag before then...I know, I know winter in NY, cold brrrrrrr :!:

Absolutely, I'll send you a frag in the spring :D

Kevin,

Your two new frags are really, really interesting. The first, the 'slice,' is very neat. I would love to watch as these guys grow. Please, if you are able, post updating pix.

I am only beginning to experiment with fragging. I think it is such a great and exciting way to increase one's coral collection. I'm wondering if you can guess how many collected frags you have growing in your tank, (rather than full sized specimins)?

Also, would you mind sharing how much you paid for these two frags from your LFS? I'd have no idea what to expect to pay.

S

CaliGal said:
Kevin,

Your two new frags are really, really interesting. The first, the 'slice,' is very neat. I would love to watch as these guys grow. Please, if you are able, post updating pix.

hehehe asking me not to post pics is kinda like asking me not to breathe :lol:

I am only beginning to experiment with fragging. I think it is such a great and exciting way to increase one's coral collection. I'm wondering if you can guess how many collected frags you have growing in your tank, (rather than full sized specimins)?

No real need to guess....I have 14 frags in my tank. All were fragged, although only three were fragged in an aquarium. The rest were fragged off of colonies in the ocean.

Also, would you mind sharing how much you paid for these two frags from your LFS? I'd have no idea what to expect to pay.

S

The frags were for sale at 14.99 each, the owner gave me a deal and sold them to me for $10.00 each. Probably, cause I was doing a review of his store for the site. From what I've observed, 15.00 is about right for the size frags I got, there were many different types of frags to choose from, acropora, Pocillopora, Montipora, Stylophora, I thought I saw a Sieratopora as well.

HAHA

cause I was doing a review of his store for the site

Did you tell him your the co-admin of an aquarium site? 8) How slick!

I suppose you did give him the URL.

Or will atleast e-mail the guy a link to your review.

Of course I gave him the Site URL 8) I did not do the review cause of a discount, I was going to do the review before I decided to get the frags. I wasn't supposed to come home with anything living, told my wife I was just goig for some salt. You don't even want to know how much trouble I was in for that 8O

After finally getting it secure, I think, (amazing how much super glue you can use.....and only glue you fingers together twice) it is starting to settle in and be happy. Here is what the P. damicornis looks like today.

pocillopora2.jpg

The M. capricoricus looks pretty much the same as in the pic above. Not surprising though, I'll post more of it, when new growth is evident.

Back
Top Bottom