Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a hitchhiker crab deep in a crevice on my live rock. Its probalby smaller than a penny. Brownish color, almost striped skin and a little hairy. Im assuming its bad. Getting a picture in the spot it was at is almost impossible. I tried though and its very bad haha. As for a crab this small is it worth removing? And if so how would I go about doing that?

Attachments

• DSC_0003a.jpg
    DSC_0003a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0004a.jpg
    DSC_0004a.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 58
I sure cant see it too good. At least not enough to make a guess. As Far as catching them take a glass and put it in your tank and have it tilted beside the rocks. Put some food in the bottom and the crab will walk down to get the food but wont be able to walk back up.

I'd say remove him now if you can before he gets larger and smarter....and hungrier. Just keep trying for now, no rush yet as he's prolly too small right now to be bold enfu to go after live critters. But he will I believe. :)

Ha sorry about those pictures. If you know what it looks like its almost visible haha. I will work on catching it. As for a glass..would like a plastic cup work? Or will the friction be too much and allow him to get out? Getting any type of glass by his hole/crevice wont be easy. (nano tank not much room) And how can I ensure my fish wont eat the food I try trapping him with?

I tried the glass trap last night. One problem I had were my nassarius snails. Somehow they manage to contort their body and get to the food. So even though the crab almost went into the glass..the nassarius scared him then ate the food. Idea on keeping nassarius out and the crab in?

Keep trying at night, but this time put a few pieces of bait at different spots of the tank to sort of mix the snails up a bit.....

Would there be any harm to maybe trapping the nassarius in a corner for a night? The crab really goes for the bait. It would only be for a night.

I know this thread is kinda old but I still havent caught my tricky crab. I have gotten an actual picture though and I am hoping for an identification if at all possible. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC_0128a.jpg
    DSC_0128a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0132a.jpg
    DSC_0132a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom