Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
This crab came out of my rock. It's so small. What kind of crab is it?

Attachments

• image-2979374406.jpg
    image-2979374406.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image-893643373.jpg
    image-893643373.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 114
Hard to get a pic of him he is so small. The stripe is almost dark red. If that helps

Well, many reefers choose to remove any Xanthid crabs that manage to hitchhike there way into a tank. When you catch him take some good photos for a id.

Why would they remove them? That's what he looks like black tips and two white spots on his arms

Mostly out of fear the crab may cause harm to fish, corals, snails, or other life in the tank. Though there really isn't a whole lot of information available on many of the species we find. Xanthid crabs (Gorilla crabs) have a poor name in the reefing community. The Xanthidae family has something like 572 different species of crabs. Since many crabs aren't identified, they all tend to get treated the same way. However, they are all opportunistic omnivores. Let's face it, no one wants to spend good money on corals and other inhabitants just to have a free hitchhiking crab destroy it.

That makes sense! I got a few hitch hikers that I'm gonna try and remove. I found a couple silver bugs on my live rock. They go super fast but look like a little shrimp/snail. They are so tiny no way I can get a clear picture. Hope they won't mess with my tank. What can I get to eat them

Back
Top Bottom