Crab ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Purchased a closed Brain today from the LFS and found this crab as a hitchhiker. Would appreciate an ID so I know whether or not it is reef safe and if I should put him in the tank. Thanks for the advice/info.

Attachments

• crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 135
  • crab3.jpg
    crab3.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 127
  • crab4.jpg
    crab4.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 128
If you have a sump/refugium put him there, otherwise throw it away. It looks like a gorilla crab to me, and honestly I would not risk it.

Is it green or brown? If it's an emerald crab then yeah, most people say they are reef safe. If it's brown then it is probably a gorilla crab.

Yes, legs are hairy. Claws are green, rest is hard to tell because it covered but brownish.

no crabs are truly reef safe. i wouldn't execute him though. i'd keep an eye on him and see what behavior he shows first. if you have a sump or refugium, he might be better off in there.
he does look like an emerald crab to me. a member of the mithrax family. they are omnivores, which means they eat both meat and veggies!

I agree with Mr X. Definitely looks like a member of the mithrax family. He should be OK. They will take care of bubble algea if you have any.

Looks like his father was an emerald crab and his mother was a Teddy bear. But seriously, in the sump I would put him. Or watch and see if any polyps or other soft corals start to disappear.

Back
Top Bottom