Crab ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demotaz7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Found this in my tank months ago...have had several fish just disappear. Its not anything I've added and I know its not an emerald crab. Finally caught it last night. Any ideas what it is?

Here's a few pics

Attachments

• 1388444999642.jpg
    1388444999642.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 1388445028743.jpg
    1388445028743.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 93
That is def not an emerald crab. Reminds me of a spotted crab. Though crabs aren't fast enough to kill off fish. I wouldn't trust this guy to be reef safe though.

Crabs do not have to be fast to kill burrowed, sleeping fish during the night. IMO it is as unrealistic to claim that a crab certainly cannot kill a fish as it is to claim a crab certainly did. The possibility is there. Nice job catching him :)! How'd ya do it?

A sick fish, maybe. A sleeping fish becomes possible, but in this case I would question it due to the shape of his claws. You would look for pointed claws out of crabs that lean more toward predatory nature, though still all scavengers by trade.

A sick fish, maybe. A sleeping fish becomes possible, but in this case I would question it due to the shape of his claws. You would look for pointed claws out of crabs that lean more toward predatory nature, though still all scavengers by trade.

Agreed!

My LFS said he's not reef safe....so in the sump he goes. Think we ID him as a gorilla crab. I was able to catch him when he was grazing on a top rock in the middle of the night when I had to refill a bottle for my son. I just slowly grabbed the whole rock and pulled it out. Took about 6 months to catch him. Glad I finally did. The fish I lost were burrowing fish at night as well. All ZOA's are gone too. So I'm sure this is the culprit.

Attachments

• 1388599534087.jpg
    1388599534087.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 80
Ouch! Sorry for your losses. I have the same type of crab in my tank. Pretty sure he took out my hi fin goby. I've been trying to catch him for weeks.

Mine wouldnt go for the bottle traps either. Just got lucky n caught him on a top rock

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom