Crab ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple of super tiny crabs (so tiny that I don't think I'd get a picture of them if I tried). They look like either my red crabs and my emerald crabs except that they are white. Will they color with age? Are they more likely to be red ones or emerald ones? Any thoughts or guesses appreciated! :)

I also pulled a little tiny crab that looks like the red/emeralds that is black. Hmmm.

Thanks!

The claws of the crabs will tell alot. The white ones, if they have black claw tips sounds to me like xanthid crabs. Predatory. If the claws are kinda flat, it might me a porcelain/coral crab. These crabs can be identified also by the fans they use to eat.
The black one could possibly be a type of mythrax simular to the emerald crabs. I'd keep an eye on them and remove if necessary. None pose much of a threat while they are small. HTH

I have about 12 porcelain, so I'm VERY familiar with them. I'm thinking it is one of the xanthid crabs since the claws do have black tips. The black one was easy to remove and so whatever he is he's in QT with the other red ones I've been able to yank so far! The red ones are picking at corals so I'm on the hunt for them. I guess I'll yank the white ones too if the opportunity presents itself!

Thanks!

I suppose that would make a difference.

And here I thought that would be assumed, based on the forum that I posted the Q in! I'll be *sure* to be more specific next time! You would have gotten a good laugh at the look on my face when I did a search for that. :oops:

Do you wonder how Bearfan has knowledge of such things?! Hmmm.... 8O *mental note, keep arms distance from Bearfan*

Back
Top Bottom