crab id?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
This crab showed up out of nowhere. He must be a hitchhicker. I saw him today for the first time, he was molting. Here is his top shell. It is brown around the edges, and gets a lighter tan toward the back and center. Does anyone know what type this is? Could this guy be the reason for some missing fish??

Attachments

• img_0958__small__578.jpg
    img_0958__small__578.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 35
It's possible but I think most healthy fish would be able to evade the crab. How big is it? I would catch it asap.

depends on size the crab size of tank some crabs will snag a sleeping fish or inverts some will pick at polyps rule of thumb if it has black claws it is bad news with out a full shot of him it is hard to be 100% on Id

he does have black claws, I have that from when he molted.
How do I get him out of the tank?

You can try to locate the rock he is in and flush him out with carbonated water squrted into the hole , or by a small glass tilted to the side near his hole ... with a piece of food in it once he goes into the glass he cant get back out ... Chances are he is the reason for your missing fish

Sadielynn said:
or by a small glass tilted to the side near his hole ... with a piece of food in it once he goes into the glass he cant get back out ...

(y) (y)

I got it!! Thiis thing was a monster! His claws are huge. This has got to be the reason I lost so many fish. Now I feel I can go out and get some fish for the tank again.
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom