Crab ID - Black with marbled-white markings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gordonzo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A large (1" dia.) crab came with my live rock. He is mostly black with marbly-white on his arms. He is very shy (can't get a picture - yet!) and stays in the porous rock. Occasionally comes out. He seems to pick stuff off the live rock and also responds to shrimp pellets placed near his 'lair'. He has 2 large claws which he sometimes uses to sweep water toward his mouth. I have only 2 fish (4 stripe damsels) and he seems to shy away from them - they will try to take the shrimp pellet out of his grasp! My tank is 3 weeks old - cycled with live sand/live rock. 55g, CPR Skimmer, Refugium, Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-5, Alk-11, Ca-440, Temp-77F. Any idea of what he is?

gordonzo said:
He has 2 large claws which he sometimes uses to sweep water toward his mouth.
Sounds like a species of porcelain crab by that description. Ther are many different color morphs for these guys.

Cheers
Steve

Is this what you are describing except for different color???

James

My crab has a more oval shaped body. His legs are much thinner. His claws are very long and slender. I am still trying to get a picture but he is very shy. He will reach out of his crevice and take a shrimp pellet from my tongs but when he comes out, the slightest movement seems to scare him away.

Back
Top Bottom