Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2003, 11:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Crab ID - Black with marbled-white markings?

A large (1" dia.) crab came with my live rock. He is mostly black with marbly-white on his arms. He is very shy (can't get a picture - yet!) and stays in the porous rock. Occasionally comes out. He seems to pick stuff off the live rock and also responds to shrimp pellets placed near his 'lair'. He has 2 large claws which he sometimes uses to sweep water toward his mouth. I have only 2 fish (4 stripe damsels) and he seems to shy away from them - they will try to take the shrimp pellet out of his grasp! My tank is 3 weeks old - cycled with live sand/live rock. 55g, CPR Skimmer, Refugium, Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-5, Alk-11, Ca-440, Temp-77F. Any idea of what he is?

Old 11-10-2003, 03:26 AM   #2
steve-s

Re: Crab ID - Black with marbled-white markings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo
He has 2 large claws which he sometimes uses to sweep water toward his mouth.
Sounds like a species of porcelain crab by that description. Ther are many different color morphs for these guys.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-10-2003, 03:43 AM   #3
cj10488

Is this what you are describing except for different color???

James
Old 11-12-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My crab has a more oval shaped body. His legs are much thinner. His claws are very long and slender. I am still trying to get a picture but he is very shy. He will reach out of his crevice and take a shrimp pellet from my tongs but when he comes out, the slightest movement seems to scare him away.

Tags
crab, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com