crab ID plz, I don't like it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got a tiny rock of xenia, and put it on one of my LR.
but over couple night, there is something move/push my xenia down to the sand or move it a tiny bit.
At first I thought it was the hermits, but till I notice something moving inside the rock, I knew there is a crab, and finally I stay up late tonight and caught it on my camera.

I really don't like it, cuz it didn't even wanna share a space with my coral.
second, it looks like the one i read from the book which said red eyes and black tip claws is bad crab. LOL

wanna know what kind of crab is it and how am I suppose to get it out?
if possible, I did put trap to try catch my peppermint shrimps before, all the shrimps and hermits went in, but no crab were found.

any other way to catch it?

here is a good look of the crab.
img_1036495_0_b2f6142a6398d1f9cef5a436a046236c.jpg

Spear?! I chased a peppermint around for three weeks. If the trap didn't work, you might just have to keep an eye out for it and grab it when he isn't looking.

Spear?! I chased a peppermint around for three weeks. If the trap didn't work, you might just have to keep an eye out for it and grab it when he isn't looking.

next time I see that crab, I might take the whole rock out and take my time get rid of it.

peppermints r evil~ they keep killing my nassarius snails, but recently they know if they know I m the boss, so they won't pick on my snails, cuz I use a stick to scare them away when they r around my snails.

they r hard to catch, but I know my small puffer are all ready to kill if the shrimps keep behave badly XD

That might be a gorilla crab or a stone crab. Are the claws pointy and dark brown or black?

Did you try the tilted glass trick? Put a glass in there and lean it upside your LR and put a meaty object in the bottom. It can walk down in the glass but not back up out the glass.

Did you try the tilted glass trick? Put a glass in there and lean it upside your LR and put a meaty object in the bottom. It can walk down in the glass but not back up out the glass.

lol I will try that later tonight.

I would get it out if you can. It looks alot like the crab I caught in my tank eating my SPS corals.

crab_10-20-08.jpg

Match~ I just read your post about chasing with the stick and the deadly puffers, and I got a great visual and it really made me laugh! Thanks for making my day!

Match~ I just read your post about chasing with the stick and the deadly puffers, and I got a great visual and it really made me laugh! Thanks for making my day!

haha its funny to see the puffers follow my stick and get to the shrimp.
they know I am directing them to food LOL.

back to the crab topic, I caught it~ rolf
I used my chinese skill ~~CHOPSTICK!!! LMAO
its in a beer bottle now, thinking if I should put it in my sump or in my puffer tank LOL

I would get it out if you can. It looks alot like the crab I caught in my tank eating my SPS corals.

crab_10-20-08.jpg

I caught one of this earlier, but I think the one I have now its a little bit different, tho they both have black tipped claws, the one I have now has red eyes and a more rectangle shape shell.

btw, how did u caught yours? did u seperate the rock out, or use trap?

img_1037426_1_22644dcc0d8c31d10355ac12e2a76f6a.jpg

OH OK I didnt know that. You already have someone keeping the refuge clean. Maybe your LFS will take him off your hand. Maybe also you could have a small crab tank. Put him in a two or three gallon SW tank. Just thinking out loud.

OH OK I didnt know that. You already have someone keeping the refuge clean. Maybe your LFS will take him off your hand. Maybe also you could have a small crab tank. Put him in a two or three gallon SW tank. Just thinking out loud.

haha thats will be great. a tiny crabs tank haha
thanks melosu

20# of potatos and a carrot and you got yourself a meal! :)

I doubt he was eating the coraline, he was probably picking pods or something else off of it.

but I actually see it use its claw to get a piece of purple stuff off and put it in its mouth OoO.
I will put it in the refu awyay ^^

Hmmm, brown pointy claws generally indicate a predator, but I don't want to discount what you saw...there have been stranger things done in a SW tank!

Hmmm, brown pointy claws generally indicate a predator, but I don't want to discount what you saw...there have been stranger things done in a SW tank!

haha agree, so they do catch for little fish right?
then I am glad its out of my tank, I m planning to let my clowns have babies. XD

Back
Top Bottom