crab identification please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky@3rdshift

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a crab from a LFS that didn't really know what he was. He resembled a emerald crab, but colors are off some. His pinchers are a nice emerald/jade color green, but his body is bumpy and brown looking. The rest of his legs are also a brown color.

I only gave 2.00 for him, and the tank he was in had some old writing that said emerald crab from what we could make out.

Not all emeralds are neccessarily green. The lfs I go to has a huge black one in their coral tank. Does the claw tips look flat and kinda white? If it is indeed a mythrax crab, the claws will tell ya. They should have small flat areas on the very tip for pulling algea, as opposed to the sharp tips of a predator.

HMM I'll check. I sure wish my camera had not decided to take a dump on me or I would take a pic. Its hard to find him he hides all day till I turn out the lights at night, and then he comes out. I have to catch him before he can hide to see.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!!! It has the white flat edges on the tips. I guess I got myself a bargin emerald crab.
Thanks

I`ve also seen the emerald crabs many different colors. Them being just green is a myth

Back
Top Bottom