Crab w/Fans = Porcelain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just found a crab in my tank that I think is a porcelain crab. It has large pinchers relative to it's body (about 1/4"-1/2" body dia I'd say), but it was hanging from a crevice in a rock while two "fans" were waving around in front of it's head, looking like it's collecting food from the water?

I use DT's in my tank to feed a clam that we have, even though long-term I think the clam will die in our tank (not intended as a clam tank).. so maybe the crab is eating that DTs?

Is a Porcelain crab the only sort of crab with these fans? Are these crabs OK in a tank? Most seem to think they are OK but I'm not sure. Those pinchers are pretty darm big.

Yep sounds like a porcelain crab. You can do a google images search for porcelain crab and compare what you to the results of the search. Porcelain crabs are harmless filterfeeders, the claws are for defense and show.

Thanks, will do a good Image search. Only problem is this was the 1st time we saw the crab, he was in a rock crevice, but we could see his front pinchers and his big fan action.

If you don't feed DT to a tank do they still have enough food to eat? Will they eat algae ? I'll do some more searches.

Thanks you!

Theyll eat a little algae but theyll sift throught the sand with there filters and eat stuff in the sand. There very hardy I have about 10 in my 10gal and there doing great. I've even seen eggs on one of them! Its probobly not to important that you feed them anything theyll be fine. Ive seen my also eat flakes that drift by them

Back
Top Bottom