crab with the filter arms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone know what that crab that waves it's arms around is called? He's got large feathery "hands"...

Is that a Catcher's mitt crab? I don't know where I heard that one.

So far, impossible to photograph...but I'll keep trying.

is that the only one? i have 2 in my tank right now but they are whiteish with a dark brown/black dots on them.

Porcelains have many different shell markings and slightly varying shapes if that's what your asking. To my knowledge they are the only filter feeding crab though.

Cheers
Steve

is this it?

this is from my tank I have about 10 in my 10 gal they are really cool to watch

I don't see any filter hands on that crab. (they are big, you wouldn't miss them) Maybe he was waving them around and the photo didn't freeze them. If that is the case, see if you can get that guy with a flash.

Based on this photo, it doesn't look like a porcelein, filter feeding crab.

Brad said:
Based on this photo, it doesn't look like a porcelein, filter feeding crab.
Not sure if you are refering to your's Brad but the pic above is definately a porcelain. The claw shape is also a definate telltale.

Cheers
Steve

the reason you cant see them is because hes useing them to pick stuff off of the rock kinda like little claws but yes when hes waveing them you cant miss them

in this pic its a smaller crab but you can see the filters a little better ill get you a real clear pic soon

Mine were a beautiful purple w/ yellow markings. I had quite a few from my LR but they have been slowly killed off I think by my Brittle Stars that also came w/ the rock. So I have been told, the stars like to eat them because they are easy prey.

Yes Wahoo...I got a good look at mine today and he looks very similar to that. Y'all are correct...you can't see his filters until he starts waving them around!

Back
Top Bottom