Crabby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orca67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Spotted this guy tonight under some base rock not sure if it is good or bad? Also spotted another that is black but only have seen him couple times and he disappears again. Should I wait and see or get them out if I can catch them??:confused:IMG_1556.jpg

How did crabs show up in your tank? You don't know? What else is living in your tank? You should be okay because people mix crabs and fish all of the time.

Hitched a ride on the live rock. :) Some crabs are not friendly in a reef tank which is what mine will be down the road.

looks like a xanthid crab too me, hard to tell for sure, maybe a mithrax though. Google xanthid if its, that, i'd get it out and in your sump, or eventually stuff will prob start disappearing.

What kinds of fish do you have or are planning on having in the tank? The crab in the picture looks pretty cool i don't know what it is though. So hopefully someone that knows crabs chimes in.

That is what I was thinking to he has to go. Very cool tho have just found many other new life coming out of the rocks now as well some good some bad some not sure. Having fun figuring it out :)

Tilted glass trap caught one today 2 to go I think 1 more for sure hopefully get him tonight :)

Maybe Barry the giant sea worm is hiding in there to o_O

Attachments

• image-418212250.jpg
    image-418212250.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 107
I hope Barry is not in there. Caught the last one today got a pic will post after I dl from my phone.

If its green and "hairy" its a emerald crab. Mine hasn't hurt a thing in my tanks.

I wish thet were green. The biggest one was black hairy with red eyes have caught 4 now last one looked like it was turning black so maybe was a baby.

Good call on removing them. If they have hairy legs and aren't green, they are bad news. The emeralds can be iffy from what I've read, but have not experienced any issues.

A lot of times it's hard to tell until they grow a little. I've had both gorilla and teddy bear hitchhikers. Both r bad news when they grow. The gorilla hitched a ride on a SPS Coral I obtained fm an LFS. He was extremely hard to see because he took on the identical color of the coral. I could only c his green eyes which gave him away. He was munching on the SPS polyps. Usually the black tipped pincers indicate they are not reef friendly

Attachments

• image-3326398679.jpg
    image-3326398679.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom