Crabs. ? Anemone??? Help??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coogi23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
SO i went to the beach today and caught two crabs. I have them in my salt water tank now. One was in a little reef spot in the wAter the other was in the crevece of a rock. Will they be okay in my tank. Can they breathe underwater? Wat will they eat brine shrimp ? My nemo???!!

Well my question is why would you risk putting them in your tank? You appear to have no idea what you just added to your tank, so that makes no sence to me.

Wooooooow, pretty reckless. Well the worse thing that could happen is the utter downfall of your tank. They could have brought in disease, fungus, and many other issues. Most likely not reef safe neither...

All i have in my tank is one softie frag and a nemo it cycled for about four months. Im not really worried. If it dosent work out i tried. Food can they breathe.

My LR came with a lot of crabs (like 10 very tiny), and they are always underwater in my sump I took them out of my tank because they week eating my Zoas.

So I think they can breathe underwater, but I dont think Its a good idea to leave them if you dont know their needs for food, care, lighting....

Theres two of em. I have no clue what kind to be exact any help would be great. I think there fine tho ther eating the snails i got from the beach with them. There also eatting the brine shrimp. Do crabs clean sand? I think i saw them doing that.

They look to be emerald crabs, I've seen them come in darker greens and light browns but never that dark of a brown. Did u just out them in? Or did u quarantine them?

Yea they look purple from the front. By the back they look black or greenish. There enjoying the snails anything else that they would eat that would b fun to watch? An i quarintined them in a bucket then im my tank.

Lol that's not a quarantine. That's an acclimation. A quarantine is when you isolate the fish in a separate tank so you can monitor disease.

Carcinus maenas maybe? They're the European green crab. An invasive species that made its way over here. Not reef safe but fun to keep if you have a fish only tank. You can buy them at bait shops.

Yea a nemo. He just swims at the top though. Add the crabs are cool they are throwing each other around. And yea i havent ever quarinted any thing yet; It always end up fine. I will probably regret it one day untill then let it be. I mean they live in the ocean thats got to be a tough life, a tank should be a breeze lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coogi23 said:
Yea a nemo he just swims at the top tho. Amd the crabs are hella cool they b throwing each other around. And yea i havent ever quarinted any thimg yett. It always end up fine. I will probaly regret it one day untill then let it be. I mean they live in the ocean thats gott be a tuff life. A tank should be a breeze lol.

Please use correct grammer, i couldnt understand anything you just said.

Haha it's a lot easier living in the ocean. Only like 100000000000000000000x the size and never even close to ad densely stocked as a tank.

Back
Top Bottom