Crackling sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gafaru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Everyone once in a while (several times a day actually), I hear a loud "crack" sound from within the aquarium that is accompanied by a succession of less audible "cracking" sounds. It sort of sounds like something is striking against the acrylic walls of my tank.

Anyone have an idea what it might be?

Had the tank up for about 5 months now and I haven't lost any livestock. I'm guessing it's a pistol shrimp. Any way to be sure?

I have a mantis, discovered it by hearing the same sort of sounds. Then I saw it. I have also seen where it has been digging in the substrate. Noticed any snails etc gone missing? mine definitely have.

No missing shells (so it should be a good sign right?)
I've set up a trap just to be safe.

No missing shells (so it should be a good sign right?)
I have two mantin in my reef, and they have not touched my snails. As long as you keep them well fed with meaty foods, you could very well be OK. I love the two little guys in my tank. Very animated little creatures.

I actually requested LR.com send me one with my LR shipment. It was dead upon arrival, so I asked again on next load and got two, bonus. One red and one green. Feed them by hand and fish don't seem to mind them either. Do get a little noisey though. I watched one for about 20 minutes right out in the open and lights on, he demolished a vacant clam shell in my LR. 8O

If you don't know what it is, doesn't sound like it's been too much of a problem. If it were a rogue Mantis you'd notice something by now.

Peacock Mantis have given the other mantis a bad rap. Peacocks are much better looking, but much more aggressive as well. Why is it that the pretty ones are always more trouble. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom