crazy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vpadfsu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new to this. Just setup my first tank. I live in st kitts and have to find my own fish. I found this guy about one inch long that changes colors when he feels like. He is chrome/silver with a stripe design...the stripe design cant be seem when hes all silver, but he changes color. Part of him all ways stays silver, but he changes from silver and green, silver and yellow, or silver / dark green. Its nuts...what is this guy?

Looks like a juvenile amberjack (Seriola) to me - if so, it's going to get pretty big! I'll take a closer look at it when I get to work and have access to my books.

Tony

I'm confident it's an amberjack (Seriola species) of some form, but I couldn't find good photos of juveniles to check it out. Based on the relatively short eye bar (ends well anterior to the dorsal fin) and bars extending on to the dorsal and anal fin bases, I think it is most likely a lesser amberjack (S. fasciata). Have a look on Fishbase to see if it checks out (though the illustrations and photos are not particularly good there): Seriola fasciata, Lesser amberjack: fisheries, gamefish.

Tony

Looks like a SCAT of some sort.. But I thought they were more of a brackish fish.

I can see the Amberjack too...

Side note.. Ever Catch one?? That's a good time.. I caught one 30miles off shore out of Montauk

I can see why you might think a scat, but the fins are wrong. In scats the spiny part of the dorsal fin is longer based (covers about half the total base of the dorsal fin). What's more, it would be a bit of a long swim for one to turn up in the Caribbean, as they are only known from the Indo-Pacific!

Tony

Alright im post more pictures in a little bit. I put in a hemit crab that i found on the beach and it bit off the hermit crabs two claws and then let him live. I put in a crab and it fuggghed him up(murder). I put in some reef hermit crabs and it leaves them alone. It wont really eat fish flakes but i put in tiny pieces of shrimp and it loved it. When its in attack mode it turns green, whens chillin it turns silver, and when i get home he turns yellow(guessing he thinks hes getting food).

Yep. Does look real close. You'll notice fast growth I'm sure since they do get big fast I believe.

I wonder if amberjacks are related? :)

Thank you everyone for helping me out...def would of never thought i caught an amberjack with my hands when all my life i been on a 22 footer 8miles out using a pole catching one. After looking at some pictures and my fish...its def a juvenile amberjack (Seriola).

RIP: to the juvenile amberjack. prob died from stress...too small of a tank. But he didnt go to waste...starfish ate him so dont worry.

Back
Top Bottom