Cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Eeks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few days ago I noticed this purple patch here starting and just wondering if someone can confirm what it is? Tank is probably 6-7 months old and probably 5 months post-cycle and having critters in it. Haven't noticed any algae growth before this patch. Everywhere I read forums, articles etc say cyano is either blue-green or red, well to me this is neither but rather very purple. Going to try and suction it all now along with a water change right now, but my water conditions weren't really bad when I test them last night, only test that really registered at all was approx 10ppm (maybe a little higher but it wasn't as dark at 20ppm) of nitrate. I don't have any corals just 2 clowns, a shrimp and a sand-sifting star, who isn't sifting sand nearly as efficiently as I thought he would, and now I'm down to 1 (from 2) turbo snails.
kOheaBp.jpg

That's definitely cyano. He high nitrates could be contributing as well as low flow in that area. suck it out during water changes but the stuff can be a pita

Yea I've been reading about how big a PITA it can be. Should I maybe direct one of my PHs down? Or maybe move it down some and aim straight across tank? Right now I have them both about 4 inches from top of the tank on opposing sides, aimed slightly upwards and to center of tank. I do use RO/DI water to mix up saltwater and for top offs, and I usually feed 4-5 days on and then take a day or two off. I use Hikari(?) frozen food, the amount I feed my 2 clowns attack it and usually is mostly gone in 10 seconds or less.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Maybe move a powerhead down a little but don't point it down.

Cut back on feeding and rinse the food before adding it to your tank. It is also easy to overfeed, your tank might not need an entire cube as an example. I feed my tank twice a week, one cube of the exact same food. Cutting back will help, as will increasing flow like bribo stated.

I pop a cube into a shot glass and feed like 3 of those little "worm" shapes every day for about 4-5 days and then take a day or two off, takes about 7 days to use an entire cube. Just did a PWC, probably 15 gal out of 55, changed my filter floss and rinsed my ChemiPure Elite. And topped off with fresh saltwater made with RO/DI. When I had tank down on water I moved the PH down to just above the middle of the tank aimed slightly upwards, the other PH I kept in the bank corner aimed across to center. I have also drastically cut my lightening time down, so hopefully it clears up quickly. Also the snail I thought was dead, I reached into grab him out during the PWC only to discover he was wiggling when I pulled him out of the water, so hooray for that!

Here you can see how I have my PH set up now, hopefully will provide the lower front section of the tank with a little more flow. Suctioned up best I could the patch of algae though I did have to stab at the sand bed and kind of loosen it up to get it to let go.
FBSAzI7.jpg

Couple days post PWC, and the patch has returned. I assumed it would based on what I have read on various websites. Would it be wise to get some more critters that eat algae and detritus? Maybe toss in a few more snails, another shrimp perhaps? How about a goby to help the starfish filter the sandbed? Any other critters I should look into at my LFS? Thanks for the tips guys
MrnsJyL.jpg

PS my 'trates are essentially zero, just did a test with API test kit, it turned maybe a hair darker than the 0ppm, but not as dark as the 5ppm.

I typically use chemiclean when I get red slime. It will fix the immediate problem of the cyano but you will have to be more vigilant going forward. Quick bandaid for the problem. I have had an outbreak of cyano at one point or another on all my tanks and I dose the chemiclean and it never comes back. Just follow the directions to a tee and it will work within a day or so.

Guy at the LFS(the only guy I talk to there anyhow he seems most knowledgeable), who says he has SW himself, said it looks like cyano, except for the color, which he said the color is closer to that of the good (actually he said not harmful) algae, I'm assuming he is speaking of coralline? He said to differentiate I should go home sweep my hand above the patch like I'm fanning it, if it moves: cyano, if it holds: algae. Which I guess coincides with what I have been reading at various site/articles.
Got home tonight, I performed his little experiment, it moved. He actually didn't advocate and chemicals, though I also didn't ask, just said I should do several water changes, and then keep a tighter schedule. After telling him what I have stocked, he did recommend that I get something to help my starfish turn the sand over more frequently, didn't really push it just suggested I should, lawnmower blenny, diamond goby or he said he really likes a dragon goby. Thoughts?
Rambled on kind of a lot here, TL : DR I have cyano need to keep a tighter PWC schedule.
Thanks guys

Lawnmowers dont sift sand. The other two will, but you may end up with more sand everywhere than you'd like.
Never a good idea to get a critter to fix an issue, best to address the issue and fix it.

It has been several weeks now, thought I would follow up with everyone. The Cyano is all but disappeared. I just stepped up some water changes, did a couple in close succession as well as one every Friday, though I haven't had time to do last Friday's yet, whoops. However I did not go with the chemiclean, but I did buy some of Kent Marine's Nitrate sponge, I had read mixed reviews on it, so I thought what the heck give it a go. Well the PWC were shrinking the size of the patch of Cyano, after adding the nitrate sponge has basically eradicated it. I added it Tuesday of last week I think, in a matter of days it was all but gone. Also my starfish has been out and on the glass more often and you can see him in the pics

And this is all that remains of the cyanobacteria
051yCpc.jpg
LaUySd0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom