Day 1 of cycle and found this 8 legged spider...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen saltwater spiders but they don't look like that! They look more like crabs shaped like spiders. That's creepy! Def wouldn't want to see that everyday!

***MYSTERIOUS SPIDER UPDATE****
Came home from work tonight and my brother in law found what I think was the spider from the pics and videos on the floor and "disposed" of it. The other 2 were very small and I took them out of the tank tonight...I dont see any other spider so hope we solve that issue... On to the next one

***mysterious spider update****
came home from work tonight and my brother in law found what i think was the spider from the pics and videos on the floor and "disposed" of it. The other 2 were very small and i took them out of the tank tonight...i dont see any other spider so hope we solve that issue... On to the next one

out of the tank?!?!

Interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a spider that just fell into your tank. I live in an old house and have assassin beetles that live in the walls. When it warms up they come out of the woodwork, literally! They fall into the tank all the time, my clowns actually try to eat them even though they are the same size. I simply do my best to try to keep them out of the tank, when I find them in there still alive they can crawl around trying to get out for several hours.

Yup... And it must be it cause I did not see him at all tonight...

I hate spiders just as much as the next guy but what really freaked me out was when I tried to take the first spider out of the tank with my hand it released some sort of liquid....I did not like that at all....lol

See, this is why I love spiders! They can surprise us! I know I know. That's a hit against them to most people. Lol
That was a house spider as stated already. While a few spiders have adapted to live underwater, many are capable of spending short periods submerged using the same mechanism. Spiders when viewed up close are covered with little hair like projections. These are most obvious on tarantulas. Anywho, when a spider goes under water, these hairs cooperate with surface tension to encase the abdomen in a bubble of air. Since spiders breathe by diffusion rather than inhalation, the bubble remains largely undisturbed as it wanders around under water. I don't recall the names of those that make this a lifestyle though.
My guess is that it either stayed under too long and suffered from co2 toxicity leading to its untimely demise, or the salt and mineral content overpowered its internal chemistry upon exiting. Either way, I mourn the loss of a true arachnid pioneer, who went boldly where no spider has gone before. May he rest in peace.

That thing looked quite at home in the video. it looked like it was spinning a web and staking his claim!

That's right! Claiming your HOUSE! Move! I'll help you!

Haha!!! LMAO!! Dino really hates spiders!! But I must agree!! I hate spiders, and knowing they can survive in water creeps me out even more!!!!!
And that spider did seem a little too at home in The tank!! :/

I can cope with any of gods creatures but when it comes to spiders, man am I the biggest wimp!! That video totally made my skin crawl.... Can't get away from those suckers even under water!

Back
Top Bottom