Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skaterbarney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have diatoms in my tank growing on the substrate and it's very irritating, I'll gravel clean it and with in a few days it's back again !! I'll post pics anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it ?

Attachments

• image-801555174.jpg
    image-801555174.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1395859519.jpg
    image-1395859519.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3401461386.jpg
    image-3401461386.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 76
If its a new tank then they are normal and will disappear as quickly as they appeared. One the tank is cycled ( if it isn't already) you could and some snails and hermits that will soon eat any diatoms that are left over!

Tank is about 1.5 years old, have left handed, blue hermits, turbo snails, Astra snails, some one that just grew by themselves, nass snails, starfish and urchine, they don't touch It! Tank is a 90 gallon, going great until now, corals are doing fine, skimmer is pulling out normal blackness, light is on or 7 hours with 1.5 hours of the blue atinic light on befor and after the halide comes on. Don't know what to do have been doing 20% water changes every week and a half

Are you sure it's diatoms? Is it brown? It looks reddish on the pics (but I'm colour blind anyway :p)!

All parameters are 0 no nitrates, trite, ammonia, ph is 8.1-8.2 has always been the same and good, I have in fish
Sailfin tang
Yellow tang
Blue tang
3 false perks
Royal gramma
Clown goby
Mandarin goby
Yellow watchman goby
Canary wrasse
Anthias

davePM said:
Are you sure it's diatoms? Is it brown? It looks reddish on the pics (but I'm colour blind anyway :p)!

It's like black, dark brown

Might feed like once every day maybe every second day sinking pellets and none reach the bottom there gone befor they get there and I do a big feed once every week and half with frozen food and scallop for my lta

mr_X said:
12 fish....what size tank is this? feed every 2 or 3 days for a while.

It's a 90 gallon tank, I think my problem my be sunlight on the tank. I notices the past few days even with the blinds closed, could that cause it ?

Back
Top Bottom