Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yup yup. I'm looking for a nice Mantis Shrimp to make a home for, but I'm in Houston, TX. I have no idea what it would take to ship the little guy over here.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:02 PM   #12
cj10488

This is what I came up with as an approximate prices... I could not and would not guarantee that he would arrive live in any circumstance.. For that reason I think I would chose not to ship him... Still kinda leary about livestock being shipped if you can't tell...

FedEx First Overnight® 8:00am or 8:30am the next business day to major cities 65.05
FedEx Priority Overnight® 10:30am the next business day to most cities 39.18
FedEx Standard Overnight® 3:00pm the next business day to most cities 34.78
FedEx 2Day® 4:30pm in 2 business days to most cities 17.65
FedEx Express Saver® 4:30pm in 3 business days to most cities 15.99

James
Old 10-03-2003, 03:04 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

for a "home" that you can see him in, give him a small section of PVC sized accordingly. I think in the DIY section someone actualy posted pics of coting the PVC with glue then sand/rocks to camoflauge the PVC a bit better. Could be worth a look for ya.

Can I ask, what'd you do to catch him? FW Dip?
Old 10-03-2003, 03:12 PM   #14
cj10488

Quote:
for a "home" that you can see him in, give him a small section of PVC sized accordingly.
Thats a great Idea will do that later today

Quote:
Can I ask, what'd you do to catch him?
Well I was looking in my tank for the small one that I have been seeing and I saw something that looked pink 1 minute and then it was gone.. about 5 mins later i saw him on the bottom of an easily accessable rock.. I grabbed the rock slowly and he came off and swam away.. About 5 mins later I noticed he was back in the same spot. so I grabbed the rock again slowly and started pulling it out.. I pulled quicker this time and he came out with the LR.. I then placed him in my wet/dry sump for the time being and held the LR over the water.. He wanted the water so off the rock he jumped and into the water.. Caught... I was afraid for my fingers but managed to come out will all of them and no cuts... There is another Mantis in there the is about half the size of this one.. I think i will try and get him the same way or something... He is really small so I dont have too worry too much less that half an inch... Funny thing is right before i saw him i was debating on buying a trap to catch the small one i knew about.. Funny how things work out sometimes... My wife likes checking him out in the other tank but she doesnt like the sally lightfoots i put in the reef tank the other day... She says they look like spiders...

James
Old 10-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj10488
This is what I came up with as an approximate prices... I could not and would not guarantee that he would arrive live in any circumstance.. For that reason I think I would chose not to ship him... Still kinda leary about livestock being shipped if you can't tell...
*nod* I'd rather he have a nice home with someone else than run the risk of him not surviving the trip to me. But thank you anyways.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:31 AM   #16
cj10488

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i got the second one that was in my tank the same way..

I am thinking If I get anymore of these in my 29gal tank its going to be a species tank lol

Pictures attached of the second one

James

Tags
mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com