Did I GET my mantis Shrimp!!! Or what is this!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Please I hope this is my PITA that I have been trying to catch now for a while.. Pictures attached..

That is a Mantis Shrimp yes sireee bob!!!

LOL cool lookin aint he?

He is going into my 29gal empty tank for the time being as soon as I get the salinity up a little bit.. He is currently in my wet/dry sump... Finally after at least a month.. I was just getting ready to order a trap too!!!

They dont need that much light do they...

James

I was thinking Cant I just just leave him in the WEt/dry part of the sump.. I mean I have no biobale in there or anything.. I could just throw all my bad crabs into the wet/dry part and that way he could eat them..

James

Or would the 29gal be better?

Ahh saw him climbing up the side and said forget that.. He is now in my 29gal with the small 2lb piece of LR that he was on and If he dies oh well.. And I must have had a brain fart cuz Hello
They dont need that much light do they...

What was I thinking..

Anyways Anyone Want a Mantis Shrimp If you live in Oregon Lets Make a Deal :) lol

Thanks Guys,
James

BTW I think i still might have another in my Main Tank Still.. I think this mantis was after the new sally lightfoot crabs that I just put in.. Either that or the Zebra Hermits..

Sure is! Looks almost like the one we removed from our 75g a couple years back:

mant1.jpg

I said forget the LR that I was going to give him I took it back... I want to see him without having to look under LR or anything... All my hitchhiker crabs are going to be going into that tank as well so he can have food.. I think it will be quite interesting to see what happens If he does survive.. But i figure if he survived the shipment of LR then he should survive anything..

James

They are pretty cool creatures, and its usually fairly easy to find someone to "adopt" them. Mine is living in Oklahoma - has been for the last couple years. 8)

Yup yup. I'm looking for a nice Mantis Shrimp to make a home for, but I'm in Houston, TX. I have no idea what it would take to ship the little guy over here.

This is what I came up with as an approximate prices... I could not and would not guarantee that he would arrive live in any circumstance.. For that reason I think I would chose not to ship him... Still kinda leary about livestock being shipped if you can't tell...

FedEx First Overnight® 8:00am or 8:30am the next business day to major cities 65.05
FedEx Priority Overnight® 10:30am the next business day to most cities 39.18
FedEx Standard Overnight® 3:00pm the next business day to most cities 34.78
FedEx 2Day® 4:30pm in 2 business days to most cities 17.65
FedEx Express Saver® 4:30pm in 3 business days to most cities 15.99

James

for a "home" that you can see him in, give him a small section of PVC sized accordingly. I think in the DIY section someone actualy posted pics of coting the PVC with glue then sand/rocks to camoflauge the PVC a bit better. Could be worth a look for ya.

Can I ask, what'd you do to catch him? FW Dip?

for a "home" that you can see him in, give him a small section of PVC sized accordingly.
Thats a great Idea will do that later today

Can I ask, what'd you do to catch him?
Well I was looking in my tank for the small one that I have been seeing and I saw something that looked pink 1 minute and then it was gone.. about 5 mins later i saw him on the bottom of an easily accessable rock.. I grabbed the rock slowly and he came off and swam away.. About 5 mins later I noticed he was back in the same spot. so I grabbed the rock again slowly and started pulling it out.. I pulled quicker this time and he came out with the LR.. :) I then placed him in my wet/dry sump for the time being and held the LR over the water.. He wanted the water so off the rock he jumped and into the water.. Caught... :) I was afraid for my fingers but managed to come out will all of them and no cuts... There is another Mantis in there the is about half the size of this one.. I think i will try and get him the same way or something... He is really small so I dont have too worry too much less that half an inch... Funny thing is right before i saw him i was debating on buying a trap to catch the small one i knew about.. Funny how things work out sometimes... My wife likes checking him out in the other tank but she doesnt like the sally lightfoots i put in the reef tank the other day... She says they look like spiders...

James

cj10488 said:
This is what I came up with as an approximate prices... I could not and would not guarantee that he would arrive live in any circumstance.. For that reason I think I would chose not to ship him... Still kinda leary about livestock being shipped if you can't tell...

*nod* I'd rather he have a nice home with someone else than run the risk of him not surviving the trip to me. But thank you anyways. :)

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i got the second one that was in my tank the same way.. :):):):):) :lol: :D :lol: :eek: :D :lol: :eek: :D

I am thinking If I get anymore of these in my 29gal tank its going to be a species tank lol

Pictures attached of the second one

James

Back
Top Bottom